Infection word has become a part and parcel of life.
Being a mother I am worried that in this pandemic situation of COVID-19 children are more prone to get infection. As there is change in whether children are susceptible to get stomach upset. Among which diarrhoea remains as one of the leading causes of malnutrition and diarrhoea related mortality. Diarrhoea is defined as the frequent passage of watery loose stool 3 times or more accompanied by an excessive loss of fluid and electrolytes. The most common cause is an infection of the intestine due to either a virus, bacteria or parasites. These infections are often acquired from food or water that has been contaminated by feces or directly from another person who is infected.
ZODIAC by Dr. Pramod Jog stated in the page of Indian Academy of Pediatrics 2016 – beautifully
Z – Zinc
O – Oral Rehydration Solution
D – Diet
I – Immunization
C – Cleanliness
Management in Diarrhoea
Do not led the child to be dehydrated. For children below 6 months breastfeeding should be given more frequently and for young children Oral Rehydration Solution (ORS) should be given frequently and also after each loose stool. To maintain the electrolyte balance of a child it is the vital step to be taken. Get the ORS as recommended by the WHO and UNICEF – low osmolarity ORS – home made ORS – 1 Lt of clean drinking water add 6 tsp of sugar and 1/2 tsp of salt.
Zinc supplementation is given for 14 days by your pediatrician to reduce the duration and severity of diarrhoea. Zinc is a vital micro-nutrient important for normal growth and development in children boost the immune function and it helps in intestinal transport of water and electrolytes.
Dietary Sources of zinc
- Whole Grains
A child may be irritable or cranky. As parent we must handle with patience.
- Do not impose the child to eat when crying. Try to calm down by deviating the attention to some interesting picture or give their favorite toys.
- Give small meals at frequent intervals.
- If your pediatrician advices for liquid diet 1-2 days
– Rice Gruel / Rice Soup
– Moong Dal Soup
– Coconut Water – Natural ORS
– Clear Vegetable Soup
– Plain Buttermilk / Lassi (As curd contain Lactus Bacillus good bacteria for gut)
– Chicken Clear Soup
Switching to Semi-Solid
– Red Tea + Arrowroot Biscuit
– Mashed Ripe Banana
– Mashed Potato
– Mashed Raw Banana along with Blenderized Rice + Dal Khichdi with Chicken Soup
– Grounded Moori with Ripe Banana
– Grounded Riceflakes (Cheera) with Ripe Banana, can add 1/2 tsp of lemon juice
– Soft Rice
– Overcooked Dal
– Fresh water fish with raw banana
– Boil peeled apple
– Vegetable Oil 1-2 tsp
Spices like whole jeera, ajwain powder, ginger juice in small amount can be used as it helps in digestion
Salt as per the age
Use double boil water / RO water for drinking
Maintain hygiene and wash hands before cooking and feeding the child
As the episodes of loose stool decreases start giving boiled egg, boiled pumpkin or pumpkin puree.
- Milk as lactose in milk can aggravate the diarrhoea.
- No raw foods, will be hard to digest.
- Sugary food items – juices, chocolate, candies can worsen the condition more
- No deep fried foods
IMMUNIZATION – that is a vaccination for Rota-virus, Measles must be given on time, so , go ahead as per your pediatrician advise.
ANTIBIOTICS – is not given as per my knowledge unless the child has acute bloody diarrhoea or your pediatrician is the best person to answer regarding this part.
CLEANLINESS – Washing hands with soap and clean water. Using clean and safe method of preparing and storing food. Wash thoroughly in running water all fruits and vegetables. Cooked items must be stored in covered vessels. Toilet must be disinfected properly.
NOTE TO TAKE AWAY
– Avoid dipper rash using coconut oil, if possible try to cover the child with soft cotton cloths instead of dipper
– Go or call your pediatrician
– Start immediately homemade / WHO recommended ORS
– Do not stop feeding the child
– Breastfeeding to be continued
Tina Baruah, Tinababy Baruah, Sr. Dietician Excelcare Hospital, Founder of dietheal.com