Parenting in the time COVID19
Shehnaj Parveen Sarma
Every parent raise their children differently but still there are certain things that is common for us all . Parenting or child raising is a process of promoting and supporting the physical, social, emotional, and intellectual development of the child from infancy to adulthood.
PARENTING in the time COVID19
It’s been five months and we are living under the covid19 phase and still unsure when this phase is going to get over.As conscious parents we should interact constructively with our children.
Children are likely to be experiencing worry, anxiety and fear and these could be very similar to those experienced by adults.
Schools are closed and children are unable to go out, have limited physical activities, less opportunities to be with their friends and get that social support that is essential for their well being.
As parents you can address your child’s fear and worry by :
- Not merely hearing but listening to them and trying to understand what message they are trying to convey.
- Talk about Covid in simple and honest language.
- Recognise your child’s feelings
- Keep them in touch with their friends and loved ones
- Spend quality family time, play games, watch a movie together etc.
- Involve them in the small household chores as this will develop a feeling of belonging in them
- Tell little children before you leave for work in a calm and reassuring voice that you are going out for work and will be back soon .
- Tell them that scientists are working on getting a vaccine for covid19 and things will get better sooner.
- Offer your children extra hugs and pampering.
- Use rewards and privileges to reinforce good behaviour
- Avoid all kinds of physical punishments in all forms.
These are some of the positive parenting tips you may try during these hard times.
Shehnaj Parveen Sarma from Guwahati practicing NLP counsellor and Life Coach and has a Facebook Page called Mind Triggers related to counselling.